[climacs-devel] Re: a patch for climacs (mainly regarding COMPLETABLY-PATHNAME) + a gimmick

Robert Strandh strandh at labri.fr
Thu Sep 1 00:06:40 UTC 2005

Andy Hefner writes:
 > Isn't the prevailing bias of the climacs project anti-dired?

Not quite.

I think a dired-like application is useful, and I think that whenever
reasonable, any application should be able to call any other
application.

However, I think the purpose of something like Climacs is to edit
sequences of objects, and then perhaps exploiting the contents in some
interesting ways such as indenting Lisp code or getting the
documentation of a symbol, etc.

I don't quite see the point of storing the contents of a directory as
text in a Climacs buffer, and then not edit it.  It seems much smarter
then to just use the CLIM functionality of PRESENTing the pathnames to
a CLIM stream.  And I certainly don't see why another application (say
an imagine manipulation program) should have to call a text editor in
order to do dired-like stuff.  Instead, I think dired-like
functionality is better put in a separate CLIM pane or CLIM
application, callable from both Climacs and from other applications.

But, I may be wrong of course.

--
Robert Strandh