[climacs-devel] latest progress

Robert Strandh strandh at labri.fr
Thu Mar 17 05:42:01 UTC 2005

Dear mailing list member,

As usual, this message is meant for those of you who do not follow the
climacs-cvs mailing list.

This past week, work has been concentrated to two different areas:

Aleksandar Bakic has been working on implementing a line-oriented
persistent implementation of the buffer protocol.  He also continues
to clean up the rest of the Climacs code in order to remove
dependencies on a particular buffer implementation.

I have continued my work on syntax modules.  In particular, I have
been working on the HTML syntax module, again not in order to make the
HTML syntax module directly usable, but in order to use it as a model
for how other, more important, syntax modules might be written.  I
encourage anyone who is interested in a complete HTML syntax module
(and who knows a bit more about HTML than I do) to check it out and to
add new functionality.

Here is an itemized list of what happened the past week:

  * The HTML module is able to do syntax highlighting of HTML tags
    (green), of parse errors (red), of the title text (boldface).

  * Climacs no longer depends on a particular McCLIM backend.
    (thanks to Andreas Fuchs)

  * Added the <a> tag to HTML syntax

  * Line oriented persistent implementation of the buffer protocol
    using an adaptation of binary sequences by Robert Will.
    (thanks to Aleksandar Bakic)

  * Performance improvements and cleanups to the line oriented
    persistent implementation of the buffer protocol
    (thanks to Aleksandar Bakic)

  * Factored out incremental lexer from HTML syntax to the general
    syntax module, so that it can be useful from other syntax
    modules.

  * Documented the incremental lexer protocol.

  * Improvements to the buffer-test module.
    (thanks to Aleksandar Bakic)

  * Moved the code for updating positions of syntactic entities out of
    the specific syntax modules, so that it is now automatic for all
    classes that inherit from the parse-tree class.

  * Fixed a bug in update-syntax for HTML syntax.

--
Robert Strandh