[climacs-devel] Lisp Syntax suggestions

John Q Splittist splittist at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 23:41:40 UTC 2005

Folks,

As threatened, I attach a patch to lisp-syntax.lisp that:

* adds support for the remaining reader macros (except that numbers are
punted on [see below], pathnames don't yet require a string, and
non-standard reader-macros are assumed to be OK)

* adds support for tokens (being numbers, potential numbers and symbols)
that include single and multiple escapes (although there is a wee
bug-let to stomp I've just noticed when typing incomplete multiply
escaped tokens at the end of the buffer...)

* interprets tokens with escapes more accurately when trying to
determine which symbols they represent

It doesn't yet handle numbers in any special way -- indeed, it assumes
they are symbols. This makes intelligent handling of, say, complex
numbers introduced by the #C reader macro impossible. For now...

In general, I've taken the approach that the editor should be far more
accepting of possibly erroneous input than the reader, it being not
terribly helpful (or performant) to turn everything red at the least
provocation.

I'm sure it's not pretty lisp. Style etc. suggestions welcomed (like
"don't use tagbody, use X instead"). And I'm aware I've implemented bits
of the reader twice...

I'll keep hacking away at this, but this seemed a good point to share.

cheers,
JQS