[climacs-devel] interactor / minibuffer redraw

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 09:37:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

It is my suspicion that there is a problem in climacs' toplevel loop,
such that the minibuffer contents aren't preserved over certain
interactions.  It could of course be a problem in a lower layer...

To see the problem, arrange such that there is a climacs window with
the minibuffer area able to be obscured by another window -- something
like

      +--------------------+
      |                    |
  +---|      climacs       |
  |   |                    |
  |   +--------------------+
  |  xterm   |
  +----------+

then type (for instance)

  M-x Set

Bring the xterm to the front, obscuring the climacs minibuffer, then
bring the climacs window back.  Type

  SPC Sy SPC

and note that the second SPC completes "Syntax" for you, but then
prints "No such command" in the minibuffer.

The particular instance of this that I would dearly love to see fixed
-- but I suspect that it's the same problem in any case -- is that
this makes the use of the possible completions gesture (C-/) useless
in the context of C-x C-f: create a small text file in /tmp/ by other
means, and then do

  C-x C-f /t C-/

a (partial) completions window pops up: choose /tmp/, and then attempt
to select your file; I get

  debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread 12565:
  #<GOATEE:SIMPLE-SCREEN-AREA X 99:144 Y 0:14 {B120031}> is not
  contained in #<CLIMACS-GUI::MINIBUFFER-PANE CLIMACS-GUI::INT
  {AE455A1}>.
from
  CLIM:ERASE-OUTPUT-RECORD

Any ideas?  (I'd love a quick fix, but... I appreciate that this may
not be easy)

Cheers,

Christophe