[Clfswm-devel] Pain caused by daily use.

Michaël Cadilhac michael at cadilhac.name
Fri Aug 15 12:07:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM, Philippe Brochard
<pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> First, can you tell us what is your OS, your lisp implementation, your
> CLX implementation and your clfswm version. Do you use xcompmgr for
> transparency? Do you use toolbars?

On Arch Linux up to date, clisp 2.49, no clue for CLX, and clfswm GIT.
I don't use xcompmgr, and I have a toolbar.

> Personally, I use clisp+portable clx[1] under Debian stable and always the
> last git version with no transparency and no toolbars.

No toolbar is a curiosity to me; you always have a watch on your wrist
or something? — this is my only use of a toolbar, as I did not manage
to put a systray there, my stalonetray is still floating around and
not really usable.

> Second, once you see some lags, please can you investigate and report
> the CPU and memory usage of CLFSWM ? (top will be enough in a first
> time).

I'd love to investigate.  I'm spending hours here and there, hoping I
can manage by myself to make CLISP spit out some useful information,
but I've rarely been so frustrated using a framework I don't know at
all.  So would you have a few minutes to give me a recipe for having a
trace, say of all CLFSWM functions entry? That would start our
debugging journey pretty well.

As for the `top` trace, well, it just says that CLFSWM uses 100% CPU
for 5 seconds and then makes the switch.  Nothing really usable.

> How many times does it takes to start an xterm for you with another
> window manager (I like icewm for comparison).

Well, it's no faster, but at least it comes into focus when it pops in :-)

> NumLock and CapsLock are seen as
> modifiers. I use this sometimes with xbindkeys to have two different
> keys layout.

I was expecting that :-)  Thanks!

M.