[clfswm-devel] Transparent background for empty frames

Алесь Гузик ales.guzik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 06:29:42 UTC 2012

----- Исходное сообщение -----
> Ales Guzik writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Philippe Brochard
> > <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> > > Hi,

> > > I have added transparency support for all frames, menu...
> > > backgrounds. It is enabled by default but can be turn off with the
> > > *transparent-background* variable.
> > >

> > > Please, can you test commit 7873a020b3. It works for me with clisp,
> > > cmucl and sbcl.
> > >

> > It works, but works wrong with my setup.
> > Now it remembers desktop image at startup time and draws it as
> > background.
> >
> Indeed, it's exactly what it is supposed to do. In fact, we can only do
> pseudo-transparency like the one in Eterm. We can't have full
> transparency expect if we rewrite CLFSWM as a compositing window
> manager [1]. Or maybe if we can use [2].

I have tried clfswm together with xcompmgr and cairo composite manager[1].

Xcompmgr and transset are part of xorg apps and is pretty often used with lightweight window managers to get simple compositing(transparency and shadows). Although it's almost standard, seems like it doesn't work with clfswm for now - all windows and frames disappears and shown just for second when switching frames.

Cairo composite manager, despite it crashed few times and abit slow, worked pretty well with clfswm. But it is definitely non-standard and seems like it haven't updated since 2010.

I think the best way to get transparency is to be compatible with xcompmgr as it's the most straightforward and widely used way.

> > But conky draws current time and uptime on my root window every second
> > and this changes are not represented in frame backgrounds.
> >
> This one is very difficult to solve. For example, try conky under icewm
> with an Eterm and a transparent background set with Esetroot. The conky
> window is not shown in the Eterm background.
> Maybe I can hack something to import the conky window content under the
> frame background. But I don't know if this will work and I'll don't
> integrate this hack if it'll be too ugly.
>
> > Additionally my wallpaper
> > randomly changes every 10 minutes by script, but clfswm draws picture
> > it remembered at startup time.
> >
> Yes, CLFSWM loads the background content under a pixmap and then use this
> pixmap as the frame background. Currently it is not updated at all. Just
> taken at startup.
> I'll look to use the Esetroot/Eterm method which allow to change the
> background dynamically.
>
> [...]
>
> Cheers,
>
> Philippe