[clfswm-devel] CLFSWM licence change?

Stayvoid stayvoid at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 01:47:46 UTC 2012

Hello!

Aad, you was misinformed about GPLv3. You've objected to problems that
don't really exist. GPL defends freedom for all users, and GPLv3 does
the job better.

GPLv2
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#GPLv2

GPLv3
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#GNUGPL

AGPLv3
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#AGPLv3.0

LGPL
www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#LGPL

Clear BSD
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#clearbsd
"Because of this, we encourage you to be careful about using software
under this license; you should first consider whether the licensor
might want to sue you for patent infringement."

Modified BSD
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#ModifiedBSD

FreeBSD
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#FreeBSD

X11 License
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#X11License

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WhatDoesCompatMean
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html

FAQ:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

> On the other side, I like the BSD/MIT licence because they're more
> simple and gives all freedoms to the developer. The 'do what you want
> with the code but keep my author name' is appealing.
Philippe, the simplicity of those licenses is a bad thing. Those don't
protect people from some legal tricks:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html

Please stick with the GNU GPL 3 (or any later version).

I've also talked with rms via email. If you have any concerns about
the GPLv3 you can talk with him.