[clfswm-devel] clfswm in different environments

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Tue Feb 22 12:11:55 UTC 2011

Desmond O. Chang writes:

> Hi,

> After upgrading clisp from 1:2.48-3.1 to 1:2.49-2 (debian sid), I
> can't use clfswm with clisp anymore.  The error message is:
>
>   SYSTEM::%STRUCTURE-STORE: 49 is not a valid index into
> #<XLIB:DISPLAY localhost:0 (The X.Org Foundation R10904000) X11.0
> #x208D3116>
>
> After a while, it raises another error:
>
>   XLIB:OPEN-DISPLAY: Cannot open display ":0".  Maximum number of
> clients reached

Maybe you have to clear all .fas and .lib files built with the old
clisp. You may have to do the same with the directory ~/.cache/common-lisp/...
before building clx and clfswm.
In all cases, when something goes wrong with CLX, start with a fresh
source directory and clear your cache.

> I think it's because clfswm try to reinit too many times.

I think so.

> Then I try sbcl with portable-clx.  It works, but my browsers,
> conkeror and iceweasel, often freeze if I open gmail or view flash
> videos.

SBCL takes a lot more memory than clisp. _Maybe_ you have some swap
problems. Can you search the cpu and memory used by clfswm with sbcl?
Also, Flash is known to use 100% of the cpu.
What hardware are you running clfswm on?

> I also try clisp with portable-clx.  It doesn't work at all.  The
> error message is:
>
>   Connection failure to X11.0 server  display 0: No protocol specified

This one is because you haven't enabled local connections on your X
server. Add a line with 'xhost local:local' in your ~/.xsession or
.xinitrc or .Xclients.

> Finally, I collect test results and make the following table:
>
> | Implementations            | CLFSWM                | StumpWM               |
> |----------------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------|
> | clisp-2.48/new-clx         | OK                    | OK                    |
> | clisp-2.49/new-clx         | not a valid index     | OK                    |
> | sbcl-1.0.45.0/portable-clx | freeze sometimes      | OK                    |
> | clisp-2.49/portable-clx    | No protocol specified | No protocol specified |
>

> The conclusion is:
>
> 1. clisp cannot use portable-clx.  we can ignore this.

Ignore this for you!!! I have it running here with clisp-2.49 and its my
everyday use case.

> 2. clfswm have some bugs on clisp-2.49 and sbcl-1.0.45.0.  Please fix
> it.  Thank you!

I'd like to fixe them but I have clfswm running here with clisp-2.49 /
mit-clx, new-clx and portable-clx. It runs also with sbcl-1.0.45 with
the patch [2] and with sbcl-1.0.46 with the original clx-0.7.4.
There is surely some bugs in clfswm but those you have comes from your
CLX installation.

Regards,

Philippe