[clfswm-devel] clfswm and FreeBSD

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Thu Dec 8 19:56:45 UTC 2011

Deepak Tripathi writes:

> Thanks Philippe,
>
> Alt +T, m, d will open an menu bar with information from a-r like "a
> <TEXTEDITOR>" but without any information, I am assuming that it should
> update the list of existing installed packages.

Ok, it's normal seen how the standard menu is actually coded.

> Ok, I have some questions (If you don't mind )

No problem, on the contrary.

> 1) Why the menu bar is getting populated with predefined values. for
> example "a <TEXTEDITOR>, b <SOMETHING>". It should be dynamic depends
> upon the existing system.

I've coded them like this so they're always on this order (there is even
an Archlinux entry even on my Debian system :). They follow the XDG
specifications.
But the content is dynamically generated from the content of the
$XDG_DATA_DIRS which is /usr/share/applications/**/*.desktop on my
system.

I've to reinstall a BSD system to test those differences. And be far
less GNU specific.

> 2) Do we have something like mode-line in StumpWM

No we don't, but this is very welcome as a contrib module.

> 3) Alt +T , ! opens run query box, but it does not auto complete, for
> example i can't just type ema<TAB> to complete emacs-24-0-92 etc.

Same thing here, there is no auto completion system in clfswm for
now. This can be something to add in clfswm core. I know stumpwm do that
but I haven't looked how it do.

Clfswm lacks also to be more ICCCM compliant and must follow the
freedesktop recommendations (http://standards.freedesktop.org//wm-spec/).
There is a beginning of code but nothing finished (I don't feel the need
for it). For example, interacting with the taskbar can be a little
tricky since there is some concepts in clfswm not present in other wm
(like groups in other groups).

If someone feels some needs for this behaviours, any code is very
welcome. And I can give some hints to begin.

Philippe