[clbuild-devel] clbuild's default slime config

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Thu Apr 1 19:40:46 UTC 2010

Hi David,

I suggest you should get rid of the

  (setq slime-use-autodoc-mode nil)

line in the default Slime config produced by clbuild.

Way back when, I suggested that config for your needs because you do not
like arglist display to run automatically in the background, but still
wanted the fancy arglist display.

In past, (setq slime-use-autodoc-mode nil), but still using the
`slime-fancy' (or, actually, the `slime-autodoc' contrib) resulted in
the behaviour you like.

However, that is not the case anymore. Perhaps you haven't updated your
Slime checkout since, and are hence not bitten by it. But many newcomers
are.

To get your behaviour, you now have to additionally place

  (setq slime-echo-arglist-function
        #'(lambda () (eldoc-message (slime-autodoc))))

into your .emacs.

I'd suggest to simply get rid of

  (setq slime-use-autodoc-mode nil)

in clbuild's default slime config, and just do the necessary bits in
your own .emacs.

If you do not want to give up the convenience of having clbuild produce
an .emacs perfectly to your taste, I'd suggest to at least add the
`slime-echo-arglist-function' customization to the output produced by
clbuild so people see the fancy arglist display when they use SPC.

Thanks!,

  -T.