[clbuild-devel] RfC: SBCL with rlwrap and sb-aclrepl

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Mon Oct 26 08:49:31 UTC 2009

David Lichteblau wrote:

>   - I've recently published a portable fork of sb-aclrepl, called PREPL
>     (for "Portable REPL").  I'd prefer using this portable library over
>     an SBCL contrib.  (The unportable bits are handled by a lower-level
>     library: conium, which is a feature-reduced fork of swank-backend
>     for use in hemlock and prepl).

Sounds good.

>   - Although rlwrap is a nice trick, there is also linedit, which
>     provides the same capabilities written in portable Lisp, which I
>     think is more interesting.

It's not as stable as rlwrap in my experience. Linedit had some goofs
when I last tried it while rlwrap always works for me. Of course Linedit
is better than nothing else.

>   - The SBCL built my 'clbuild compile-implementation sbcl' should be an
>     upstream SBCL.  (The only non-upstream thing we do is to enable
>     threads, and I would argue that since upstream ships its *binaries* with
>     that feature and just hasn't enabled it in the sources, that a
>     reasonable deviation.)
>
>     It might go a bit far to load extra ASDF systems.

I'm in favor of adding these bits as long as this doesn't go too far
and people test it well. But adding it on a special command is a start.

  Leslie

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/polzer