[clbuild-devel] `clbuild lisp' and `asdf:*central-registry*'...

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Wed Mar 5 11:33:22 UTC 2008

Quoting Dietrich Bollmann (d.bollmann at tu-berlin.de):
> Thanks.  But this doesn't allow to change the position of the clbuild
> path in the registry which could be usefull if some private
> installation of a package should be prefered to a different instance
> of the same package later in the path.
>
> How about a third option which just leaves the registry as it is
> specified in the profile?  (Actually I feel like this should be the
> default as to me it is strange that some values from the profile later
> are overwritten even if the user explicitly configured clbuild to use
> the profile.)

I'll have to think about this some more.

But to me, the meaning of "clbuild lisp" is: "Start SBCL so that it uses
the systems installed by clbuild" -- full stop.  I think that's a useful
operation to have.  Similarly, "clbuild slime" says: "Start slime using
clbuild without requiring any extra customization by the user".

Both commands are meant to save users from having to write configuration
files.

Now, if you'd like to start a lisp with your special configuration, one
that uses some but not all of clbuild's systems, or that has a different
startup routine, you can do that.

Just start SBCL normally and set the central registry the way you want.
At that point, there's not much reason to go through the clbuild shell
script at all.

That's also why we offer the "clbuild slime-configuration" command,
which shows what "clbuild slime" -would- have done, ready to be
copy&pasted into .emacs where it can be customized.

Perhaps we should have a command "clbuild lisp-configuration" which
shows what "clbuild lisp" would have done, ready to be copy&pasted into
.sbclrc.

d.