[clbuild-devel] Re: Package suggestion: elephant

Victor Kryukov victor.kryukov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 13:04:57 UTC 2008

David Lichteblau <david at lichteblau.com> writes:

> Quoting Victor Kryukov (victor.kryukov at gmail.com):
>> what do you think about adding Elephant,
>> http://common-lisp.net/project/elephant/index.html, to the list of
>> projects?
>>
>> darcs get http://www.common-lisp.net/project/elephant/darcs/elephant
>
> I would like to support elephant and have recently tried it.
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't even build before a configuration file has been
> set up, and I'm not sure how to handle that.
>
> Should we set up a default configuration?  Which backend?

Hi David,

Why do we need to support a default configuration? BerkeleyDB is
probably the most frequenly used backend, and definetely the best in
terms of performance / ease of use, but if a lisp library needs some
system libraries outside of the Lisp world, that should be user's task
to install them E.g. now when you install CLSQL via clbuild it doesn't
install MySQL or PostgreSQL automatically - that task is left for the
user.

Of course we could try to find the right path to libdb4.5.so etc., but
what if a user doesn't have it installed yet?

I'd suggest to leave the task of modifying my-config.sexp to the user.

Regards,
Victor.

PS. I have some problems using Elephant with the rest of the clbuild
world. I.e. if I install Elephant via asdf-install with all the
dependencies into ~/.sbcl using default system SBCL (1.0.6 on my
Ubuntu), it works just fine. But when I put the latest darcs version
in ~/src/clbuild/source and try to open a BDB store, I get some weird
SB-SYS:MEMORY-FAULT-ERROR. Do you experience something like that? I'll
play with it a little more today and will tell you if I am able to
resolve that.

PPS. Please do not send replies directly to me - I'm reading them in
the newsgroup.

--
http://macrodefinition.blogspot.com