[clbuild-devel] Newbie Confusion

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Tue Feb 5 14:00:46 UTC 2008

* I wrote:
> > 2. <Real newbie alert>Clbuild generates a core instance. While I can
> > run clbuild slime [project_name] and start editing, I'm not clear how
> > to that interacts with path names required by config files such as
> > when setting the path names for .emacs, slime, etc. I set up clbuild
> > as a directory under home. My interpretation of the clbuild file is to
> > set my .emacs file as

Sorry if I misunderstood your question originally.

> You can usually run slime using
>   clbuild slime
>
> You shouldn't edit .emacs at all, unless you already have a .emacs that
> loads an different version of slime.  (In that case, remove anything
> related to slime from your .emacs before using "clbuild slime".)
>
> Of course, you -can- configure emacs manually to use the slime
> downloaded by clbuild, but first I'd recommend trying to get "clbuild
> slime" up and running.

I have just pushed new clbuild features that make it easy to start slime
for clbuild without going through "clbuild slime", and to start slime
using the monster.core.

These instruction should supersede anything you might already have tried
in your .emacs.  In particular, the workarounds Bill Clementson has
previously written about are no longer needed.

We have two separate commands:

  clbuild lisp          # starts clbuild without monster.core
  clbuild preloaded     # starts clbuild with monster.core

When you run

   clbuild slime

you can choose whether to use the core file or not, and it will use the
right one of the above two commands.  To do that, just add

  START_SLIME_USING_CORE=y

to clbuild.conf.  See clbuild.conf.default for other examples.  To see
if it worked, check in *inferior-lisp* whether it still tried to
load fasls or not.  (You don't have to set slime-backend yourself.  We
also do that for you.)

Another new command is

  clbuild slime-configuration

which prints the .emacs excerpt that "clbuild slime" would have loaded,
so that you can copy&paste it into your .emacs and start emacs normally.

d.