help getting started on Mac

Sky Hester skyjhester at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:16:26 UTC 2016

Hi Jim, Christian,

I can report success building on OS X, but there were a few config details that had to be ironed out to get everything to work.

First, to build externals-clasp, in local.config.darwin, the capitalization “darwin” disagrees with the makefile, which checks for “Darwin”, which is easy to fix:

export TARGET_OS = Darwin

Since clasp asks for gcc >= 4.8, I also set gcc/g++ variables to a newer version installed from brew:

export GCC_EXECUTABLE = /usr/local/bin/gcc-4.9
export GXX_EXECUTABLE = /usr/local/bin/g++-4.9

To build clasp, the directions for setting up local.config didn’t quite work for me. I had to do the following:

export TOOLSET = clang-darwin

rather than just “clang”, which is suggested in clasp/README.md. This was also just changed to agree with the makefile.

Built with make clean; make, copied to /Applications, and the executable at /Applications/clasp/Contents/execs/boehm/release/bin/clasp ran the first time.

Hope that’s helpful,

Sky Hester