[cl-xmpp-devel] Problem with TLS connection on Franz/ACL8.1

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Thu Oct 25 16:31:58 UTC 2007

Quoting Jason S. Cornez (jcornez at alum.mit.edu):
> What follows is run using the latest cl-xmpp and cxml/closure-commons
> from CVS along with other libraries from asdf-install tarballs.  I use
> ACL8.1 on linux-x86.32.  The net result is that the lisp crashes and
> dies with a segmentation violation.  Obviously that in itself is a Franz
> issue, but this happens because (figure-encoding...) calls (read-byte
> ...) on a flexi-stream.  And I figure this doesn't make much sense.

CL+SSL is known to be broken on Allegro with a failure mode like this.
I can only guess why, but since Allegro already includes SSL support,
perhaps there is some kind of conflict between the two FFI uses.

I think the workaround Edi used in his libraries was to do
  #+allegro (excl:make-ssl-client-stream ...)
  #-allegro (cl+ssl:make-ssl-client-stream ...)
but if the problem stays unsolved, it would be better to move this kind
of hack into CL+SSL itself, so that it wraps the built-in streams on
Allegro instead of doing things itself.

Unfortunately I don't really have the time for CL+SSL development at the
moment, but patches are always welcome, of course.

d.