[cl-who-devel] Exposing String Escape Functions

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Jul 19 21:44:19 UTC 2007

Sorry for the delay.  Busy...

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:35:40 +0300, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo at ttnet.net.tr> wrote:

> I attached the related patch with the post.

Thanks.  That's OK with me except that I'd use FLET instead of LET for
the test functions.  But the patch for the HTML documentation is
missing.

> But if you'd ask for my opinion, escaping functions are just
> polluting function namespace.

I don't think that's a big issue because we have packages.  CL-WHO
only exports two dozens of symbols or so.

> IMHO, it would be better to collect them under a single generic
> function.

Yeah, but it'd be "harder" to use.  Again, I think this is not a big
issue and mainly a matter of taste.

> By the way, (eq *html-node* :xml) checks in the code make FORMAT
> optimization impossible for character escaping routines. I didn't
> test the impact of this from the performance point of view, but how
> many clients there are that doesn't support hexadecimals in the
> escaped entities? (Maybe let that check as a compile time
> parameter?)

I agree that it'd be nicer to make this a compile-time decision.  I'm
not so much concerned about performance, but it'd be good for
consistency.

Thanks,
Edi.