[cl-who-devel] Re: [hunchentoot-devel] Printing the output

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Feb 8 16:28:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:40:38 -0500, "Andrei Stebakov" <lispercat at gmail.com> wrote:

[This should really go to cl-who-devel, see Cc.]

> I am a bit confused about using macros like with-html. Let's say if
> I want to produce an html with my post parameter value in it. Just
> saying (:p (post-parameter "foo")) won't put the value in the <p>
> tag.

See STR or ESC:

  http://weitz.de/cl-who/#syntax

> On the other hand saying (:p (format t "~a" (post-parameter "foo")))
> or (:p (esc (post-parameter "foo"))) will produce the expected
> result. Same goes with
> (:p
>       (esc (with-output-to-string (s)
>                       (format s "~a" (post-parameter "foo")))))

The first form works only by accident, the second form is OK, the
third one is a bit overdone.

> My question is what's common about the latter examples that makes a
> printing possible? Does it mean that all printing within with-html
> should happen to *standard-output* and the esc function redirects it
> to it?

Look at the first parameter of WITH-HTML-OUTPUT[-TO-STRING].

> What package should I look at to have a better understanding of it?

Package?  What do packages have to do with your question?

  http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/11_.htm

Have you read the documentation?

  http://weitz.de/cl-who/

Cheers,