[cl-who-devel] Fwd: *downcase-tags-p* for attributes, setting *downcase-tags-p* for compile-time

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Aug 24 08:10:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 01:08:03 -0400, "Dave Cooper" <clnet at genworks.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else found it necessary to conditionalize the downcasing
> of attribute names, like what is currently done with regular tags?

Yes, you're not the only one - see the new 0.11.0 release.

> Second question: the *downcase-tags-p* has to be set to nil at
> compile time.

Yep, this is by design.  You can call it a feature in the sense of
optimization, but you can also call it a design flaw as CL-WHO
currently doesn't export functionality to compose output at runtime.
This would require a major overhaul for which I don't have enough time
at the moment.

> I am hoping to find something less error-prone (and thread-unsafe) than this:
>
> ;; beginning of the file
>  (eval-when (compile load eval) (setq *downcase-tags-p* nil))
> ;;

> ;; end of the file
>  (eval-when (compile load eval) (setq *downcase-tags-p* t))
> ;;

I'm not aware of a better solution.  Maybe the ASDF experts have an
idea how this could be done in a more elegant way, but that would be
outside the ANSI standard.

Cheers,
Edi.