[cl-unification-devel] MATCH and friends usage and changes

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Tue Dec 4 14:42:48 UTC 2012

On 2012.12.04 04:35, Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 04:52 , Pixie <pix at kepibu.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2012.12.03 09:31, Marco Antoniotti wrote: To be honest, I'm not
>> sure I understand what problem you're trying to solve by adding
>> this PAT thing.  The extensibility of cl-unification via #t(...) is
>> one of the things I love about it[1], and your PAT syntax doesn't
>> appear to do much outside of lists--which, well, isn't that what
>> the *F variants are for?
>
> Well, the PAT thingy is just a non-completely-backward-compatible
> version of MATCH-CASE.  To tell the truth the problem is all there.
> Also, I have developed a form of Racket envy given their slew of
> match** forms. :)

Heh.  There's always the option of RACKET-ENVY:MATCH-CASE. ;)

>> Though if you're in the mood for cl-unification work, my
>> cl-unification repo is still around[2], if you'd be interested in
>> looking at and/or pulling patches from it. ;)  Somewhere in the
>> archives of this mailing list is a listing of what I changed and
>> why.  (Goodness, has it been several years already?!)
>
> Well, yes.  In some ways this says that the library is pretty solid
> :)
>
> I believe I did incorporate at least some of your patches in the main
> trunk.  I will have a look at your repo (and I should bite the bullet
> and just switch to git as main repository) and see what is still left
> out.

A few things, yeah.  The big scary change to all the MATCH- stuff no,
but you quite reasonably wanted more tests for that.

(CVS->git conversion via git-cvs works pretty smoothly, in my experience.)

>> [1] Though I've mentioned in the pre-Quicklisp days it'd be nice
>> to have some named-readtable support.
>
> Any specifics?

[1], basically, though the usage of asdf-system-connections would
undoubtedly be overkill nowadays.

   (in-readtable cl-unification:template-readtable)
is very handy! :)

[1]
http://repo.kepibu.org/browse/darcsweb.cgi?r=cl-unification;a=commitdiff;h=20100205090400-50f04-a1a6ff8f9d56093121ba1e8dce3d6afc7dc9ac96.gz