[cl-unification-devel] Newbie Question on logic and CL-UNIFICATION

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Tue May 17 11:44:53 UTC 2011

Hi

On May 16, 2011, at 15:33 , Brad Beer wrote:

> I'm looking for a (very) simple tool for doing prolog style logical deduction in common lisp. This is just for managing tasks and creating an advanced todo list based on rules. Currently PaiProlog breaks and I don't have the time to read all of PIA to understand what, ether me or it are doing wrong.
>
> As an example of what I'm trying to do:
>
> (<- (PRODUCER ?X) (TOOL ?X))
> (<- (tool "emacs"))
>
> (?- (producer "emacs"))
> Yes
>
> (do-all (?- (producer ?x))
>

> Firstly, should I be using CL-Unification for this?

Yes, if you want to build your own prolog/theorem-prover.

> Secondly, does CL-Unification support this already?

No.  CL-UNIFICATION just does unification.  It does not do "deduction" (*)

> Finally, a simple example of how to do this would be wonderful.

Sorry. No.

Marco Antoniotti

(*) I *am* working on (and off) on a Prolog implementation based on PAIP but with CL-UNIFICATION at its core.  It is almost there.  I swear.

--
Marco Antoniotti, Associate Professor				tel.	+39 - 02 64 48 79 01
DISCo, Università Milano Bicocca U14 2043		http://bimib.disco.unimib.it

Please note that I am not checking my Spam-box anymore.
Please do not forward this email without asking me first.

--
Marco Antoniotti