[cl-typesetting-devel] Newbie questions

Mika Kuuskankare mkuuskan at siba.fi
Mon Jul 27 07:04:56 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm *very* new to cl-typesetting :)
I recently started to experiment with a converter to convert from my
own "document description" format to cl-typesetting. My format has a
simple structure and quite simple vocabulary, e.g., 'section',
'bodytext', 'code', 'figure', etc. We are using this format to make
the online documentation for a piece of software called PWGL (www.siba.fi/PWGL)
. I already have some converters (e.g., CAPI, LaTeX, DocBook) but I
was looking for something more stand-alone and thought that cl-
typesetting could be a nice alternative.

( BTW, what I'm trying to accomplish (done using LaTeX for now) can be
seen here: http://www2.siba.fi/PWGL/pwglbook1.pdf )

I've managed to get things up to a good start already with relatively
small amount of work. However, there are a couple of questions for
which I might need the advice of more experienced users:

(1) How is it with characters such as ö,ä,é, etc?

(2) Is it possible to draw pieces of text with some graphics in-
between, i.e., to write: "File -> Open", so that the "->" is drawn as
graphics not text?

(3) Is it possible to embed .eps images?

(4) When using jpg's is the original size of the image not known,
i.e., you always have to provide :dx/:dy?

(5) ZapfDingbats/Symbol fonts don't seem to work for me . Am I missing
something obvious here?

(6) I would like to convert my 'code' element as monospaced text with
a frame and a light background. I did this quickly with the 'table'
element and it works nicely unless the code is so long that it
continues to the next page. To be fancy, I would also like this
element to have slightly rounded edges. Which parts of the cl-
typesetting source code should I be looking at to be able to implement
this myself, i.e., a round-edged element with monospaced text that
automatically breaks into several pages?

Trying things out on OS X Leopard.

best regards,

Mika Kuuskankare

Dr. Mika Kuuskankare
Composer, programmer and researcher
Centre for Music & Technology
Sibelius Academy

Henkilökohtainen postiosoite/Personal post address
PL 342 - PO Box 342
FIN-00121 Helsinki, FINLAND
Mobile: +358 (0)40 5415 233 (Finland)
Skype: mkuuskan