[cl-typesetting-devel] rotated/skewed text in cl-typesetting

Jonathon McKitrick jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com
Thu May 17 21:55:16 UTC 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Cyrus Harmon wrote:

> So I'm a bit unclear on how to get rotated/skewed text in cl-
> typesetting. I see the rotate and skew functions in cl-pdf, but
> when I call those, they seem to apply to the whole page. I see the
> draw-block function, but I'm not sure this fits in with the
> approach I'm trying to use which is:
>
> (tt:with-document
>   (let ((content
> 	 (tt:compile-text ()
> 	   (tt:pargraph ..)))
>   (tt:draw-pages content ...)
>   (tt:finalize-page pdf:*page*)
>   (tt:write-document ...))
>
> Of course that could be wrong too, but seemed to be working
> reasonably well.

Here's what I have learned: when you use the typesetting functions
(collecting content then writing it out) it's all applied at once
during the write-document, so transformations are applied across all
the content, I think.  OTOH, using straight per-page cl-pdf calls
gives you more control over those transformations like skew and
rotate, not to mention absolute coordinate control.  But you don't
have the flow management of cl-typesetting.  Somewhere in between is
adding a USER-DRAWN-BOX in the middle of the typesetting content,
where the draw function called for the box then does the
transformation and drawing with relative coordinates, but can do the
transformations as well.

Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly, but that's how I've got it
in my head.

--
Jonathon McKitrick
jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com