[cl-typesetting-devel] *use-exact-char-boxes*

Dmitriy Ivanov divanov at aha.ru
Fri May 12 13:40:22 UTC 2006

"Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> wrote:

|> It would be better to have both *use-exact-char-boxes* and *leading*
|> working together :-)
|
| OK but again why? Using *use-exact-char-boxes* when not in math mode
| will give non homogeneous leading for lines.
| For instance a line with "man" will have a much smaller leading than
| one with "Man p".

I would like to use exact char boxes not only in math mode but also in other
places. As I have noticed earlier, text would look prettier within table
cells and draw-block. When *use-exact-char-boxes* is nil, the internal
baseline of the first line in block is equal to dy and that leads to
shifting the entire text down.

The simplest way to take the *leading* into account I have found was hacking
fit-lines.
IMHO, in general, dealing with leading during layout instead of storing it
within every char box sounds more consistent.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov