[cl-typesetting-devel] Unicode support feedback needed

Dmitriy Ivanov divanov at aha.ru
Tue Nov 8 10:17:49 UTC 2005

Hello, Marc!

MB>> Bellow are the small patches.
MB> [...]
MB>> 1) IMHO, defconstant* is an unfortunate name as it neither correlates
MB>> with let*/do* nor list* convention.
MB>
MB> Yes. No problem, what do you prefer ?

Maybe defconstant-if-none, not sure.

BTW, I would greatly apreciate if the couple of simple loops in (defun
read-ufm-file), font-metrics.lisp, were rewritten via loop instead of iter.

MB>> 2) We would better have
MB>>   (defmacro coerce-to-unicode-string (object) ...)
MB>> instead of
MB>>   (coerce thing (unicode-string-type))
MB>>
MB>> I have neither disassembled nor profiled but gut feels that coerce is
MB> rather slow.
MB>
MB> Yes. Do you have code for this ?

I've been thinking.

MB> Now next major change: Binary format.
MB> IIRC you already have such a thing for LW ?

Yes, with my di-pdf.lisp, I do write into binary *pdf-stream*. With TTF,
this should be enhanced.
AFAIR, we should also open *page-stream* in binary mode - this needs further
elaboration. I am trying to figure out at the moment.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov