[cl-typesetting-devel] Page n of m?

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Thu Sep 30 18:14:29 UTC 2004

I haven't really spent much time on this, mostly because I somehow
picked up the impression that it'd would be a pain. But maybe I'm
wrong. Is there an easy way to typeset a document and generate
something like a header with "Page n of m" in it where n is the
current page number and m is the total number of pages. I've got "Page
n" already but I have no idea to get the whole number of pages in
advance.

-Peter

P.S. A more complex version of this is something like cross-references
where I want to insert some text along the lines of (see page X) where
X is determined at typesetting time based on where some anchor ended
up getting placed. And of course there's the wrinkle that depending on
the value of X, inserting the text might change the way the pages
break. But maybe someone has solved this problem and I just missed it.

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com