[cl-typesetting-devel] fonts for example

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Mon Dec 22 00:37:03 UTC 2003

"Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:

> From: "tarvydas" <tarvydas at allstream.net>
>
> > I've managed to compile cl-pdf and cl-typesetting (under LWL4.3) and can
> run
> > "hello".
> >
> > The larger example, "ex", does not run claiming that the fonts CMTI10 and
> > CMEX10 don't exist.  I can see that they exist in the "files-for-example"
> > directory.
> >
> > What should I do to get cl-pdf to "find" these fonts?
>
> You have to load them with (pdf:load-t1-font <afm file> <pfb file>)
> All the fonts, excepted the 14 predefined ones, must be loaded
> before you use them.

So, just to make sure I understand: PDF defines 14 "standard" fonts
that can be used by name (?) in any PDF document. (Presumably any PDF
renderer has to know about these fonts.) Beyond that arbitrary fonts
can be embedded into a PDF document? And in cl-pdf doing a
pdf:load-t1-font does whatever magic is required to get the loaded
font to be embedded into the resulting document?

> BTW I think I will make the pfb filename optional and derive it from
> the afm filename.

What does "pfb" stand for?

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com