[cl-typesetting-devel] Re: [cl-typesetting-announce] cl-typesetting at work!

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Thu Dec 18 21:30:31 UTC 2003

"Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:

> There are 14 predifined fonts in the pdf format (corresponding to the AFM
> files in the AFM directory). Every pdf renderer must be able to render them.
> The other fonts must be embedded. I added support for T1 fonts and Suresh
> Madhu sent me code for T3 fonts (not yet integrated)
> The font metrics (the AFM files) define all the dimensional characteristics
> of the fonts. But not the strokes/data for rendering them. The rendering
> data can be in the form of T1, T3 and TrueType font data.
> There are also encodings for mapping char-codes to the glyphs.

So T1 and T3 refer to Type 1 and Type 3, right? What happened to Type
2? And does any of this explain why the text in the GDL brochure got
messed up?

> Very nice! How about full graphs like graphwiz ?

Well, that's a harder problem since the tricky bit that graphviz does
for you is figuring out how to position the nodes so as to minimize
line crossings. And they draw nice spline curves which I know nothing
about.

Right now I'm doing all the layout by hand (except that I can make
composite objects, a la--but better than--pic.) But maybe someday I'll
take a look at the graphviz code and port it to Lisp. Then the actual
drawing bit should be easy.

> (maybe you should box the specials with another box style)

Hmmm. I'll play around with it. Thanks.

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com