[cl-typesetting-devel] Re: [cl-typesetting-announce] cl-typesetting at work!

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Thu Dec 18 18:11:21 UTC 2003

Klaus Weidner <kw at w-m-p.com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 11:50:48PM +0100, Marc Battyani wrote:
> > David J Cooper Jr used cl-typesetting and cl-pdf to typeset a nice GDL
> > pamphlet.
> >
> > Here it is:
> > http://www.genworks.com/downloads/gdl-pamphlet-portrait.pdf
>
> That is very impressive. Was this all done in hand-edited Lisp code or
> did he use a front end to do it?
>
> One thing I noticed is that xpdf 2.03 has trouble with the fonts,
> which apparently have a modified width, resulting in characters
> being printed on top of one another. Since acroread 5 displays it
> fine, this is likely to be a bug in xpdf.

Hmmm. I noticed that to so I printed it, hoping that would clear
things up. No dice. Of course I have no idea how printing really
works; I'm using CUPS on a GNU/Linux box printing to a hp LaserJet
2200d--for all I know the same code is being used to convert from PDF
to Postscript as xpdf uses to render. Marc, can you give a 30 second
overview of how fonts work in cl-pdf, cl-typesetting, or PDF
generally? For instance, is all the font data embedded in a PDF
document? If so where does it come from? If not, how are the fonts
supposed to be found when it is rendered on a different machine?

-Peter

P.S. I've been working on a pic replacement based on cl-pdf that I've
been using to generate figures for my book. The code is still pretty
grotty but here are some figures I've generated.

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/figures.html>

*I* think they're pretty; better than the ASCII art I was using before
anyway. I'll eventually polish up the code and release it. In fact I
may use it as an example in my book.

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com