[cl-serializer-devel] Architecture

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Thu Feb 19 19:00:06 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I'm working on a custom serialization on top of cl-serializer.

Some questions have come up:

  1) Why aren't SERIALIZE and DESERIALIZE generic functions?
     I could just specialize them this way or augment them
     with auxiliary methods.

  2) How am I supposed to make cl-serializer actually use my
     custom definer? Do I really need to define my own mapper?
     This would be quite unwieldy as I would have to always
     specify this mapper then which makes the whole point of
     the definer a bit moot since I had to write a wrapper
     for this anyway...

  3) Is this the intended way to support custom types in
     cl-serializer?

  4) What id space is intended for custom types? The one
     between +first-reserved-code+ and +last-reserved-code+?

I also noticed that the definer 'serializer-deserializer' isn't
exported.

  Thanks as always,

    Leslie

--