Only strings as names for :named-registers?

Philipp Marek philipp at marek.priv.at
Mon Nov 4 20:18:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

I wondered why :named-register only allows to use strings as name.

I'd like to use a symbol, or, for macro-generated forms, gensyms, because that would be
easier for macro-generated forms to associate with the resulting capture index.

Sadly symbols don't work currently because of COPY-SEQ in
  METHOD CONVERT-COMPOUND-PARSE-TREE ((EQL :NAMED-REGISTER) T)

Even more, the COPY-SEQ destroys EQuality, so I cannot give some string and look for it
later on.

What's the reason for the string-requirement? Could we allow symbols, too?

Thanks for all answers.

Regards,

Phil