[cl-ppcre-devel] 1.4.0/1 performance

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Jul 3 13:24:08 UTC 2008

Hi,

The recent 1.4.x release which replaced hash tables with a "charset"
implementation by Nikodemus was meant to make scanner creation cheaper
while not sacrificing matching performance (ideally increasing it).  I
have to admit I haven't tested this a lot before releasing it (except
for correctness), but there seems to be some evidence that scanners
are significantly slower now for some Lisps.

I'd be interested in your experiences on different platforms.  This
change should only affect regular expressions with character classes
and it should only make a difference for large values of
*REGEX-CHAR-CODE-LIMIT*.  If you see significant changes in that area,
good or bad, please let me know, including your Lisp and OS.  If the
majority sees a degradation, I might just revoke this change.

Thanks,
Edi.