[cl-ppcre-devel] Loading of the package takes a long time...

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Oct 6 09:09:07 UTC 2005

Hi!

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Stebakov <astebakov at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just installed the package. The funcionality looks great but what
> really concerns me is the load time.  It takes up to 15 sec to load
> it when I issue (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre) command. (I use
> Clisp on Win2K CPU PIII @ 600MHz, not much I know :).

Well, 15 seconds is really long but that might be partly due to your
PC being a bit outdated.  It is true, though, that loading CL-PPCRE
takes some time because at load time some hash tables are created (in
util.lisp).  This takes longer on CLISP because CHAR-LIMIT is quite
high there and because CLISP is sometimes a bit slower than other
Lisps.  For example, on my laptop CLISP needs about 2.4 seconds to
load CL-PPCRE while LispWorks takes less than 0.3 seconds.

> I am wondering if I create a stand-alone binary or use it as a shell
> script will it load that long every time the script will be
> executed? Is there a way to shorten the loading time (maybe select
> not all files? May be there is some "light" version of the package?)

You can save a custom image (this is implementation-specific) that
already includes CL-PPCRE.  If you do that you won't have any problems
with the load time anymore.  (Note that creating a "stand-alone"
binary usually also involves creating a custom image.)

Does that help?

Cheers,
Edi.