[cl-ppcre-devel] Need help with a slow regexp

pete-cl-ppcre at kazmier.com pete-cl-ppcre at kazmier.com
Tue Jan 25 16:52:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:57:38PM +0100, Edi Weitz wrote:
> Yeah, I've read that and I'm concerned, too.  I'd love to see an
> encouraging response.  Have you tried to download the trial versions
> of AllegroCL and/or LispWorks just to check how they cope with this?

I spent the morning downloading the trial versions of these products to
test their speed in comparison to the free implementations.  LW was very
fast, Allegro was still slow compared to the equivalent python program,
but faster than the fastest free implementation (Clisp).

I want to see how fast LW and cl-ppcre compare to the equivalent python
program (I think it'll be faster), I just haven't figured out how to get
ASDF working with it yet.  And I'm still hoping for some developer to
comment on my post to the SBCL user list as I'm stuck with the
open-source implementations.

LispWorks:
CL-USER 17 > (time (tester "/tmp/pgw-logs/trapd.log.ovnyc00p"))
Timing the evaluation of (TESTER "/tmp/pgw-logs/trapd.log.ovnyc00p")

user time    =      0.880
system time  =      0.180
Elapsed time =   0:00:01
Allocation   = 36822608 bytes standard / 4070 bytes conses
0 Page faults
Calls to %EVAL    34

Allegro:
CL-USER(7): (time (tester "/tmp/pgw-logs/trapd.log.ovnyc00p"))
; cpu time (non-gc) 2,730 msec user, 90 msec system
; cpu time (gc)     80 msec user, 0 msec system
; cpu time (total)  2,810 msec user, 90 msec system
; real time  3,493 msec
; space allocation:
;  67 cons cells, 67,825,256 other bytes, 0 static bytes