[cl-ppcre-devel] Need help with a slow regexp

pete-cl-ppcre at kazmier.com pete-cl-ppcre at kazmier.com
Mon Jan 24 20:24:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:51:32PM +0100, Edi Weitz wrote:
> OK, now these are the results I get with CL-PPCRE 1.1.0:
>   * (time (parse-file "/tmp/sample5000")) ;; your sample, 5000 lines
>
>   Evaluation took:
>     1.187 seconds of real time
>     0.34 seconds of user run time
>     0.85 seconds of system run time
>     0 page faults and
>     51,942,672 bytes consed.
>
> That's better, isn't it?  Thanks for making me aware of this problem.

It is better now.  However, I am no longer using DO-REGISTER-GROUPS as I
realized that I intended to use REGISTER-GROUPS-BIND all along.  In any
case, I am thrilled with the performance of cl-ppcre now that I have set
*regex-char-code-limit* to an appropriate value.

I think your library is great, my only problem now is the performance of
READ-LINE in the free CL implementations (which is certainly not your
problem).  Its absolutely terrible in SBCL.  I've inquired about it, but
have not really received any good responses yet:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6400934&forum_id=4133