[Cl-perec-devel] Schema evolution: handling of initforms

Leslie P. Polzer leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Wed Aug 27 17:58:44 UTC 2008

> If the initform is a constant it could go down to the ALTER TABLE sql
> command, probably with some cl-rdbms support its not that difficult to
> implement. We don't have tests for this and when occasionally we need
> to do such things we workaround by issuing an SQL update.

It's pretty simple if the initform shall be evaluated at
column recomputation (persistence/class.lisp::compute-columns).

If we want to evaluate the initform at ALTER TABLE time, though
(which I suggest), we need to do something about the DEFAULT-VALUE
slot of class SQL-COLUMN (cl-rdbms/syntax/create-table.lisp),
making it hold a form that is evaluated before use.

What do you think?

  Leslie