[cl-pdf-devel] Re: [cl-typesetting-devel] Unicode?

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Tue Sep 11 20:10:28 UTC 2007

Peter Seibel wrote:

> Using Gentium I still have two problems. One is when I try to include
> the characters U+6e05 and U+6167 (Chinese characters) it succeeds in
> rendering but the characters are not displayed. Is that becauseGentium
> doesn't support those characters?

So that must be it because I got these characters properly rendered
using a Chinese font I got off the web. Now the only thing I don't know
is how non-Chinese characters get rendered when using a Chinese font. Do
Chinese fonts typically provide glyphs for latin characters as well? If
so, it might be nice to have a way (maybe in cl-typesetting rather than
cl-pdf) to define a list of fonts that will be tried in order so I can
have a block of text that is set primarily in, say, Gentium, but which
will fall back to HanWangMingMedium for any Chinese characters for which
  Gentium doesn't provide a glyph. Would that be possible--i.e. can
cl-pdf/cl-typesetting tell when there's no glyph for a codepoint?

-Peter

Peter Seibel                     : peter at gigamonkeys.com
A Billion Monkeys Can't be Wrong : http://www.gigamonkeys.com/blog/
Practical Common Lisp            : http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/