[cl-pdf-devel] Re: [cl-typesetting-devel] Unicode?

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 09:18:05 UTC 2007

> | I've got this simple test program which, as you can see, attempts to
> | use one of the LatinModern unicode fonts and tries to render some text
> | that contains a unicode emdash (code-point #x2014).

i'm not sure if this issue is still there, or if it's related but i
was having a long headache once because of this, so i share it here
again:

you must bind (pdf::*compress-streams* nil) to disable compression
because salza (the zlib cl-pdf uses) screws up the encoding silently.

and this only happened when then resulting pdf was bigger then a
certain size (300 bytes?) because otherwise it was not compressed and
the unicode text was fine.

a cleanup of cl-pdf/typesetting to use binary streams should fix this.
i would suggest using babel which is a nice cross-platform encoding
lib: http://common-lisp.net/~loliveira/darcs/babel/

hth,

--
 attila