[cl-pdf-devel] Big contibution committed

Dmitriy Ivanov divanov at aha.ru
Thu Dec 14 17:42:49 UTC 2006

"Peter Seibel" <peter at gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

| For the source code (i.e. .lisp) files? I think that's what Attila
| was talking about. That seems a bit extreme as most of Lisp code is
| going to be ASCII. Unless I'm deeply misunderstanding something, the
| encoding we use for the Lisp code has nothing to do with what
| encoding we use to generate PDFs. No?

Yes, the encoding in a Lisp source file, a.g. examples.lisp, and the
encoding instance in cal-pdf are different things.

While reading this source file, different editors and various Lisp system
readers make different assumptions about what its charset is. For example,
plenty of strings in my Lisp code are in Windows-1251. In LispWorks memory,
these strings are represented as UCS-2 strings, then they are converted back
to Windows-1251-encoding and stored (compressed) in a PDF-file.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov