[cl-pdf-devel] Re: CL-PDF won't compile on CMUCL

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Sat Dec 27 00:26:45 UTC 2003

[...]
 >> You'll notice that it has skipped over the whitespace past the first
 >> number. This confuses the logic in get-afm-number, which doesn't
 >> expect that.

 Marc> It's a CMUCL problem but it has been corrected (thanks to Adam
 Marc> Warner) so try a more recent version or an older one before they
 Marc> changed the parse-integer behavior) The (rather hot) debate can
 Marc> be followed on the CMUCL dev mailing list.

 >> To quote the hyperspec:
 >>
 >> parse-integer expects an optional sign (+ or -) followed by a a
 >> non-empty sequence of digits to be interpreted in the specified
 >> radix. Optional leading and trailing whitespace[1] is ignored.
 >>
 >> I'm afraid that 'ignored' can mean both "parsed" and "left
 >> unparsed", so I guess get-afm-number should be ready for that.

 Marc> There has been some debate on this issue. Both interpretations
 Marc> are correct w.r.t. the standard. But all the implentations
 Marc> including the old CMUCL choosed to stop at the first whitespace.

Hmm -- not that it's a particularly important issue, but wouldn't it be
the CL Way (tm) to try to write code so that it works with all
implementations that are correct w.r.t. the standard?

But, as I said, nothing terribly important. I have to upgrade anyway.

best regards,
--Jan