[cl-openid-devel] dropping cl-librarian support

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Thu Sep 8 21:50:13 UTC 2011

Hello Maciej.

The CL-Librarian shelf for cl-openid doesn't work anymore and
I think it's more efficient to drop it's support than fixing it.

I hope you don't mind, despite CL-Librarian is your "brainchild".

The reason is that I don't want to spend time/efforts on the support.

In theory it's probably a useful feature to be able to checkout all the
dependencies from some control. But we now barely have any users.

(The only person we know who used the library was Leslie Polzer,
but I am not even sure if he uses it now).

Therefore the advanced dependency checkout feature has too low priority
to carry the support cost.

The library is installable via Quicklisp and it's enough for now.

I want rather to do some improvements (documentation/explanations for
examples, stability); and promotion to bring a user base to the library,
to make it "alive".

Examples of problems I had, which already took some hours.

Some libraries like acl-compat were not available anymore (librarian tried to download
it using asdf-install, but the tarball link on cliki was broken - to fix it I changed the link
viewcvs snapshot).

Also, we now depend on a new library secure-random, which in turn
depends on cl+ssl.

I add

     (secure-random git-repo :source "git://github.com/avodonosov/secure-random.git")

to the shelf file, but it's not enough because secure-random needs the very fresh
cl+ssl, but librarian check out cl+ssl-2008-11-04 (btw, I do not understand hot transitive
dependencies should be handled, because we only list direct dependencies in the shelf
file).

Of course, everything may be fixed, but I think this activity would be distracting
from more immediate needs.

Best regards,
- Anton