[cl-openid-devel] Re: no need for storage backend

Maciek Pasternacki maciej at pasternacki.net
Wed Jul 9 21:38:45 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 00:10 +0300, Anton Vodonosov wrote:
> I've just realized that we do not need any storage
> backend. There is nothing to store - in memory hash
> map is sufficient for associations; as for user accounts,
> we are not going to manage them in the OpenID Provider
> side, we only provide protocol to communicate with
> Relying Party.
>
> What do you think?

As far as the user wants to run OpenID server on a single machine,
you're right.  However, for horizontal scaling, it might be useful to be
able to share associations e.g. via memcached.  I agree that full
backend is unnecessary, but I think I will provide some hooks: I was
writing on first-class RP/server; storing/retrieving/GCing associations
may be exported generic functions so that they could be overriden.  No
need for actually creating backends, just provide hooks for users to
override.

Regards,
Maciek.

--