OSX and (gl:get-integer :num-extensions)

Bart Botta 00003b at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 13:30:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Chris Bagley <chris.bagley at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have two users for whom a call to (gl:get-integer :num-extensions)
> errors with:
> OpenGL signaled (1280 . iNVLID-ENUM) from GET-INTGER-V

I think :num-extensions requires a GL 3.0+ context, so in general you
should check that before using it.

> The only thing they both have in common it seems is OSX
>
> It seems from here
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/general/macosxlionapidiffs/OpenGL.htmlthat this enum was only added in OsX 10.7 (Lion) but at least one of these
> folks is using mavericks which has 4.2 support (so I'm told :))

On OSX, I think you need to specifically request 3.0+ when creating the
context, or it will only give you a 2.x context since it actually separates
out the core profile. (On other platforms I think NVidia and AMD drivers
will default to the highest version it supports, but enable the backwards
compatibility extension or profile or whatever it is)