[cl-opengl-devel] a substantial Windows app

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:53:02 UTC 2011

Hi, I'm pretty new to Common Lisp, Clozure CL, Quicklisp, and
cl-opengl.  I'm looking for a substantial open source app that uses
cl-opengl and builds on Windows.  By "substantial" I mean more than a
very basic game or tutorial or demo.  Something that really puts
cl-opengl to work, preferably with relatively modern OpenGL API
functionality, such as vertex arrays and shaders and not glBegin glEnd
semantics.  Like, a First Person Shooter would be substantial, or a
medical visualization would be substantial.  The purpose is to
understand how the substantial app is built, how robust or buggy the
app is on this platform, and to evaluate the OpenGL performance of the
app.

Is there some easy way in Quicklisp to find all the packages that use
cl-opengl?  (ql:system-apropos "cl-opengl") only lists cl-opengl
itself.  I've been Googling about cl-opengl but that method is proving
to be slow.

"Builds on Windows" is important because sometimes packages want
things that don't readily exist on Windows.  For instance,
until-it-dies makes use of FTGL, an obsolete library that hasn't been
worked on since 2008.  It doesn't have any Windows binaries for the
foreign .dlls.  Although I could go through the pain of modernizing an
old VC8 .sln file, and renaming dependencies to FreeType per some
other website I read, it's just not worth it to me.  I want to look at
a substantial app under active development that actually works on
Windows.

Generally I can handle foreign .dll dependencies as long as those
foreign .dlls are under active development.  I've been shoving various
"SDKs" into C:\Program Files\ and adding their .dll directories to my
PATH.  It keeps Quicklisp happy.  No idea yet if the end products will
actually work, as .dll Hell could rear its ugly head.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every