[cl-opengl-devel] Re: a patch to add a support for the Vertex Arrays

Mikael Lax mikael.lax at bredband.net
Thu May 10 18:55:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:41:59 +0400
Denys Rtveliashvili <rtvd at mail.ru> wrote:

> > That example hasn't been updated yet.  Try
> > examples/misc/opengl-array.lisp instead.
> Thank you Luis,
>
> The demo works for me and now it is clear how it works (in most
> aspects). So I can compare the implementation in the cl-opengl-thomas
> branch with mine.
> I will use "T" as an alias for the cl-opengl-thomas branch and "D" as an
> alias for mine.
>
>  ... snip ...
>
> Thank you,
> Denys Rtveliashvili

Hi all,

I'd just like to chime in and say that the foremost priority here should be just to get a VA implementation out before they've gotten obsolete. If the rumblings on the opengl.org message boards are any indication of the future (I'm guessing they are, given the people who post there), it looks like support for client-side vertex arrays could be completely dropped in future OpenGL (Longs Peak).

More important is a solid and flexible VBO interface (which doesn't require things to be kept in client memory), hopefully alot of the work done on VAs is already applicable to that.

Sincerely yours,
Mikael Lax