[cl-opengl-devel] How to build cl-opengl ?

Denis Rtveliashvili rtvd at mail.ru
Thu Apr 13 18:27:22 UTC 2006

I'm sorry for such question, but I can't find out how to build the cl-opengl.

Previously I've built cl-sdl and it was fun, but the project seem to be abandoned and I want to switch to cl-opengl. Unfortunately, I do not see any instructions on building the cl-opengl. :(

I tried to build it in the following way:

1. Installed rt and cffi. I use Gentoo, so I emerged them.

2. Then I built them  by running SBCL and running commands like

(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cffi)

in /usr/share/common-lisp/systems

Everything was built without problems.

3. Then I downloaded the cl-opengl sources from the darcs repository at http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-opengl/darcs/cl-opengl/

4. I noticed that the Makefile has only "clean" target which was strange.

5. Then I tried to build the cl-opengl by running

(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-opengl)

Everything went fine.

6. But when I tried to compile the rest (examples, etc.) I experienced a strange problem. Running (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-glut-examples) lead to the following error:

----
debugger invoked on a LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR:
  Unable to load any of the alternatives:
   ("libglut.so" "libglut.so.3")

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [RETRY    ] Try loading the foreign library again.
  1: [USE-VALUE] Use another library instead.
  2: [RETRY    ] Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {AC1AE89}> on
                 #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "library" {ABAE199}>.
  3: [ACCEPT   ] Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {AC1AE89}> on
                 #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "library" {ABAE199}> as having been
                 successful.
  4: [ABORT    ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(CFFI::HANDLE-LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR
 (:OR "libglut.so" "libglut.so.3")
 "Unable to load any of the alternatives:~%   ~S"
 ("libglut.so" "libglut.so.3"))
----

I do not understand, how could it be. My system does contain libglut.so and libglut.so.3 in /usr/lib. And different opengl examples compile with it. Of course, It can be a problem with CFFI, but the CFFI was built without any errors (including CFFI tests).

Please, let me know if you have any information on how to fix this problem. I feel that my current LISP experience is not strong enough to fix the problem alone.

Thank you beforehand,
rtvd