[cl-muproc-devel] [Patch] Reorganisation of impl-dependent functions: proposal

Rudi Schlatte rudi at constantly.at
Tue May 30 13:30:17 UTC 2006

On 29. Mai 2006, at 23:01, Klaus Harbo wrote:

> Rudi Schlatte wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I now think it's better to truncate muproc-compat so that it
>> does not define the "stub" compat functions/macros.  At least some
>> warnings might be due to that.
>
> Yes, they are.  It's a dilemma, though, to my mind.  I definitely
> want to get rid of the warnings, and removing the stub functions
> would do that.  But on the other hand it is attractive to have a
> clear statement of the compat-functions required to make a full
> implementation.  If we lose the stub functions, we'll lose that.

Hmm, muproc-compat.lisp (in your proposal below) would be essentially
documentation, and would only be loaded on otherwise unsupported Lisp
implementations.  In that light, would it make sense to create muproc-
compat.txt (or porting.txt) and document the muproc-compat interface
there?  Alternatively, the documentation could also be written as
comments in the :exports section of the defpackage form for the cl-
muproc.compat package.

> Could changing
>
>  :components
>  ((:file "muproc-packages")
>   (:file "muproc-compat" :depends-on ("muproc-packages"))
>   #+lispworks (:file "muproc-lispworks" :depends-on ("muproc-compat"))
>   (:file "muproc" :depends-on ("muproc-compat"
>                                #+lispworks "muproc-lispworks"))
>   (:file "generic-server" :depends-on ("muproc"))
>   (:file "supervisor" :depends-on ("muproc"))
>   ))
>
> in cl-muproc.asd to something along the lines of
>
>  :components
>  ((:file "muproc-packages")
>   #-(or lispworks other-impl) (:file "muproc-compat" :depends-on
> ("muproc-packages"))
>   #+lispworks (:file "muproc-lispworks" :depends-on ("muproc-
> packages"))
>   #+other-impl (:file "muproc-other-impl" :depends-on ("muproc-
> packages"))
>   (:file "muproc" :depends-on (#-(or lispworks other-impl) "muproc-
> compat"
>                                #+lispworks "muproc-lispworks"
>                                #+other-impl "muproc-other-impl"))
>   (:file "generic-server" :depends-on ("muproc"))
>   (:file "supervisor" :depends-on ("muproc"))
>   ))
>
> perhaps balance these requirements?  Perhaps someone can point to a
> model from other projects that we can use/borrow/steal?

As said above, since muproc-compat.lisp is only for documentation
purposes in the second form, I personally would write proper
documentation instead.  :)

Cheers,

Rudi