Re: [cl-irc-devel] Start using trivial-sockets to reduce implementation dependent code

Erik Huelsmann e.huelsmann at gmx.net
Tue Jan 24 08:59:26 UTC 2006

> Hi!
>
> Somewhere in the TODO, there's mention of abstracting/extracting
> implementation dependent sockets code into it's own (simple) library.
>
> I believe that library has been available for a while now and would like
> switch cl-irc to using that: trivial-sockets.

Responding to Brian's question in #lisp ("How does that eliminate
platformspecific stuff like (start-background-message-handler)?"):

It doesn't. That's why I'm saying 'reduce' rather than 'eliminate'. But
using trivial-sockets would eliminate the - currently doubly maintained [in
cl-irc and trivial-sockets] - knowledge how implementations make sockets
available (this list is in socket-connect and friends).

I thought un-doubling them might be a good idea. We'd profit from any other
implementations becoming available in trivial-sockets...

bye,

Erik.