[cl-gtk2-devel] Build problems

Kalyanov Dmitry kalyanov.dmitry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 19:35:11 UTC 2009

On Вторник 23 июня 2009 21:21:54 Zach wrote:
> I handle all of my Lisp libraries by hand (exactly because package managers
> seem to have outdated versions).  You were right that I was behind of
> several of the dependencies.  I pulled the latest sources on those.

(offtopic: in gentoo linux, lisp overlay has all the newest versions of lisp-
related software including libraries; debian current lags behind)

> On my Ubuntu 8.10 system, I noticed that the libgtk2.0 package is version
> 2.14, which doesn't meet the 2.16 version requirement.  As far as I can
> tell 2.16 is fairly new and has not made it's way into apt yet.  I am not
> going to install outside of the package manager for this, so cl-gtk2 will
> have to wait (maybe I can install via the apt package manager somehow?  I
> am not very experienced with it).

I tried running cl-gtk2 on Ubuntu 9.04, it worked (ubuntu 9.04 has gtk+-2.16).
It looks like that some versioning mechanism is required in cl-gtk2 (to detect
which version of gtk is installed to define only things that are available in
installed version). I'll think about how I can relax the requirement to gtk+
version.

> debugger invoked on a SB-SYS:MEMORY-FAULT-ERROR in thread #<THREAD "initial
> thread" RUNNING {100277E431}>:
>   Unhandled memory fault at #x0.

That's probably a consequence of some of Gtk+ classes not being available in
gtk+-2.14.

> I also played around on OS X (which I see you do not support) also running
> 1.0.25 by adding the dylib style shared object files.  This reported
> several SB-KERNEL::UNDEFINED-ALIEN-FUNCTION-ERRORs which sounds more like
> an unmet library version dependency.  Those look like this:
>
> Attempt to call an undefined alien function.
>    [Condition of type SB-KERNEL::UNDEFINED-ALIEN-FUNCTION-ERROR]

Were the warning about undefined alien symbols signalled before this error?
Like this:

; caught STYLE-WARNING:
;   Undefined alien: "..."

Probably, gtk_test_register_all_types was not compiled into the os x binary of
gtk+. It should be harmless to remove the call to (gtk-register-all-types) in
file gtk/gtk.main_loop_events.lisp.

> Also, I would like to say that there are several Lisp libraries that
> provide gtk, gdk, and the like (just not very well, in my experience).
> Some have also taken the same names for there .asd files (gtk.asd, gdk.asd,
> glib.asd, etc.), which means that one cannot have your library coexist with
> the other in the same asdf registry since asdf doesn't know which .asd to
> use.  It is just a little annoying.

I've thought of that — I'll change names to avoid name conflicts.

> I hope some of this helps.  If you have any questions or things you want me
> to try, I would be happy to do so.  I know absolutely nothing about GTK,
> but I would be very happy to have a gtk binding that works for me and the
> rest of the CL community, so I wish you the best of luck,

Thanks!