[cl-dwim-devel] web app for the CIEV book database

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 18:23:15 UTC 2009

> Here is a small summary of my observations with regards to the
> dependencies that I tried to pull/fetch.

before my detailed comments: i've packed up our workspace (except the
repo history of ebr42 and some data files). details will come in a
private mail... (because i've CC'd the list)

i've also recorded all i had to

http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=cl-dwim-cl-dwim-blog;a=summary

but it's far from anything usable iirc.

> * contrib:
>  - not found

? all i can help in this is:

alendvai at nafi42:/opt/ebr42-nafi/workspace$ find . -name contrib
./metatilities/_darcs/pristine/dev/contrib
./metatilities/dev/contrib
./pdf/contrib
./dojo/release/dojo/dojox/dtl/contrib
./dojo/dojox/dtl/contrib
./typesetting/contrib
./wui/wwwroot/dojo/dojox/dtl/contrib
./cxml/contrib

> * documentation:
>  - not found

is this a package name, or an asdf system name? please send a
backtrace of how you load what and how it fails. preferably to
cl-dwim-devel.

> * ebr42:
>  - not found

this is our .gov project.

> * cl-environment:
>  - not ASDF-installable, uses mk:defsystem

i have this nasty habit of dropping the "cl-" prefix from the checked
out repos, but adding it for project names for google's sake.
environment is our shared lisp environment repo (no defsystem, no
asdf-install):

http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=cl-dwim-environment;a=summary

it shouldn't be necessary, but it contains things that make (our) life
easier, like a script that builds an sbcl image using the sbcl
binaries in workspace/sbcl, some code to build up the asdf *registry*
by scanning some directories, rmfasl, emacs plugins, etc.

>  - not fully SBCL aware? Uses functions in the EXT package for SBCL

all our code was written on sbcl, and sometimes even using sbcl
internals. but portability was kept in mind, so there's no conceptual
design issues anywhere (as far as we know). cl-perec is MOP-heavy,
though... so there may be some non-trivial surprises there.

> * cl-delico
>  - won't fetch. I get this error:
>   cat: cl-delico/_darcs/prefs/defaultrepo: No such file or directory
>  - I'm using this repo:
>   http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cl-walker/darcs/cl-delico/

no idea:
ati at ed101:/tmp$ darcs get
http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cl-walker/darcs/cl-delico/
Finished getting.
ati at ed101:/tmp$ darcs --version
2.2.0 (+ 2 patches)

> What's the easiest and most straightforward to setup cl-dwim? Aside
> from pulling the dependencies you listed, what are other things to
> read and/or remember?

to (hopefully) prevent some frustration, keep this in mind... the
framework around cl-dwim is not advertised too much for a reason: it's
much more headache to set it up than it should be necessary. there are
two reasons for this: we have deadlines and bills to pay, and some
parts are too much in flux for spending time on making it easier to
set up... next month we may rewrite the thing, rendering the setup
part useless/obsolete (not to mention documentation).

therefore it needs a high level of belief of future rewards to get
through all the headache of the start. there's a guy on #lisp who did
it (he's kami there, and he's on cl-dwim-devel, so probably reading
this. he even translated some hungarian (!) to strip down for his
needs some of our working demos we made for a customer). so it's not
impossible, but to be honest his progress surprised me...

so, please keep all this in mind, and be on high alert to continuously
reevaluate your plans. don't misunderstand me, we are very happy for
users, and we do believe that in the long run using our framework
yields productivity boost... but it's not an off-the-shelf product.
the road is a bit bumpy and we know that, we are crashing along on the
same road... :) so don't haul us up for promises we didn't make.

all that said, you can catch me on #lisp for more interactive help.

good luck,

--
 attila